From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel linux-4.12.5-gentoo & virtualbox-modules-5.0.40
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 17:11:18
1 On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Helmut Jarausch:
3 >
4 >>I'm running linux-4.12.7-gentoo with Virtualbox
5 >>BUT you need app-emulation/virtualbox and Co in version 5.1.26
6 >
7 > Hm. My Gentoo is mostly stable. That would mean to add virtualbox to the
8 > unstable part. Hm.
11 Ideally virtualbox should at least have a dependency to address this,
12 and I suspect one would be added if you file a bug (or the problem
13 would be fixed).
14
15 This is one of the reasons I tend to stick to longterm kernels that I
16 choose. It sounds like the stable kernel team is going to start
17 moving in this direction which should result in more timely updates
18 but less breakage. I believe you'd be on 4.9 if they stuck to
19 longterm.
22 Rich