From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Development framework with access restriction?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:00:04
1 On Oct 1, 2011 7:26 AM, "Michael Orlitzky" <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 09/30/2011 07:59 PM, Grant wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Thanks for that. I haven't thought it all the way through, but if
6 > > Unix ownership and permissions aren't granular enough and subversion's
7 > > path-based authorization won't work, I will need to use ACLs. I think
8 > > both subversion's path-based authorization and Unix
9 > > ownership/permissions would be simpler to implement and maintain than
10 > > ACLs so I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.
13 > ACLs really aren't as bad as they look at first. They work just like
14 > permissions on Windows, which are one of the few things it does right.
15 > My example is made much more difficult because /var/www contains
16 > directories writable by other customers.
17 >
18 > I know *my* config.php files are chgrp apache and chmod 660, but I don't
19 > expect everyone else to be so careful (and they shouldn't have to be).
20 >
21 > If you are going to go the version control route, I would suggest
22 > setting up a new repository with only the code that he will be working
23 > on. You can use a post-update script (or whatever svn calls them) on the
24 > server to pull his code into production. He doesn't need to access the
25 > files directly.
28 +1 on production server pulling from $VCS.
29
30 I'm currently assisting a friend of mine, who's the CEO of a business
31 incubator. In order to force them startups to use the $VCS, we require them
32 to first commit their codes to the $VCS, then have a script pull the newest
33 version into production.
34
35 At first, they whined. Oh, how they whined! But after the $VCS saved their
36 bacons many times, now they're firm believers in version control :-)
37
38 Rgds,