From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X programs as root
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 01:21:08
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/22/2010 09:48 PM, Andrey Vul wrote:
3 >> When I launch X programs via sudo, I get the following:
4 >>
5 >> $sudo gui-admin
6 >> No protocol specified
7 >> gui-admin: cannot connect to X server :0
8 >>
9 >> ( Assume gui-admin is an X program )
10 >>
11 >> But (gk|kde)su(do)? works. This is somewhat confusing.
12 >
13 > sudo doesn't keep the $DISPLAY environment variable by default. There
14 > could be other issues too. Best stick to kdesu and friends; that's
15 > what they are there for.
19 Well, I noticed after the recent upgrade to 4.5.1 that mine doesn't work
20 either. It worked before but not now. I'm not sure what changed
21 between 4.4 and 4.5.1 but it broke my konqueror as root and other
22 programs as well. Still have some I haven't tried tho. Konqueror is
23 the one I need most. Oh, I can get Dolphin to work tho. The conspiracy
24 theory part in me is starting to think.
25
26 Sure would like to get this working again too.
27
28 Dale
29