From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 20:33:17
1 Am Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:10:52AM +0200 schrieb Arve Barsnes:
2 > On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 at 06:40, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Howdy,
5 > >
6 > > This may not exist. If not, oh well. Sometimes when I'm moving files
7 > > with Dolphin, I need a added feature. I tend to use split panes when I
8 > > copy or move files. Quite often, I want to move files from one location
9 > > to another and the new file use the same name as the old file I'm
10 > > replacing. What I *wish* I could do, move the file from one pane to the
11 > > other and drag the new file on top of the old file and it replace it
12 > > with the name of the old file. As it is now, I have to bring up
13 > > properties, select the name of the file, while not including the
14 > > extension, and copy it, then close that window and open properties on
15 > > the new file, highlight the old name, paste new name, close window, copy
16 > > new file over and either delete old file or tell it to overwrite the
17 > > file. Sometimes it has a different extension and I have to delete
18 > > instead.
19
20 > This is probably a case of Dolphin not being a good tool, unless it
21 > has a built-in command-line?
22
23 It has: F4. And the path of that terminal is synced with that of the current
24 file view. That’s something you don’t get with Yakuake.
25
26 > 1. Equivalent to your method
27 > - Select old file, F2 (rename), ctrl+c, esc, select new file in other
28 > pane, shift+F6 (move with rename), ctrl+v, enter
29
30 Shift+F6 only moves without rename—only if the destination already
31 exists.
32
33 Dolphin has a „Copy address“ function: Ctrl+Alt+C. It will copy the absolute
34 path of a file to the clipboard. Then you can use tab completion in the
35 Dolphin terminal at the original file’s location and type:
36 mv <Beginning of source file><Tab>
37 and then insert the destination. This will at least save you from
38 completion-tabbing through the destination directory.
41 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
42 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
43
44 “She understands. She doesn’t comprehend.” – River Tam, Firefly