From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How does grub assemble a RAID1 for / ??
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:34:15
1 On 04/04/2010 15:20, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Kerin Millar<kerframil@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 04/04/2010 02:01, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Tried changing root=/dev/md0. No change.
6 >>>
7 >>> The actual failure message is the fairly standard
8 >>>
9 >>> VFS - Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(9,0)
10 >>
11 >> [snip]
12 >>
13 >>> CONFIG_MD_RAID1=y
14 >>
15 >> That's all that needs to be enabled within the RAID section of the kernel.
16 >> However, all the other options that would normally be required to boot must
17 >> also be compiled in statically for things to work as expected (ATA/SCSI
18 >> controller driver, filesystem of choice, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD and so forth). It
19 >> seems that you may have overlooked something. However, it's impossible to
20 >> determine whether that's the case based on the information presented thus
21 >> far.
22 >>
23 >> I would suggest that you double-check your .config in full, or present it
24 >> here for review, along with the output of lspci -nn.
25 >>
26 >> Cheers,
27 >>
28 >> --Kerin
29 >
30 > Hi Kerin,
31 > Happy for any help I can get.
32 >
33 > Instead of the whole .config file here's a diff. Remember that the
34 > machine already boots non-RAID from /dev/sda and I'm trying to build
35 > my first RAID boot on /dev/sdb& sdc.
38 No, really, the whole thing needs to be seen, along with the lspci data.
39 It's very likely that this thread can be drawn to a close if you provide
40 exactly what's being asked for :)
41
42 > One additional thing I thought of last night was some message that
43 > came up when I first built the RAID about the partitions having
44 > metadata and to be sure that the bootloader understands metadata. In
45
46 The bootloader does not enter into this. If the kernel is being loaded -
47 which, by your own admission it is - the bootloader has done its job.
48 What happens thereafter is entirely the responsibility of the kernel.
49
50 Essentially, the subject of this thread is a misnomer and the issue lies
51 with your kernel.
52
53 As for the warning regarding metadata, it's applicable to legacy
54 bootloaders which may not be able to fathom the presence of the md
55 superblock data at the beginning of a block device that happens to be a
56 member of a raid1 volume. As far as grub is concerned, this is a
57 non-issue. Even if it were an issue, you wouldn't even get as far as
58 being able to load the kernel in the first instance. Indeed, the
59 bootloader itself would likely fail to initialise properly.
60
61 > If rebuilding the RAID from scratch is important, or just makes
62 > things more straight forward, then don't hesitate to suggest it and
63 > I'll document the build step by step. This install isn't important.
64
65 On the other hand, if you don't get to the point of understanding why
66 the kernel isn't configured so as to be able to assemble the array on
67 this occasion, a re-install isn't going to change that. Moreover, you
68 won't be able to fix any such problem that may occur again unaided.
69
70 Cheers,
71
72 --Kerin