From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: parental control software
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:22:38
1 On 03/20/2013 07:04 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > I'm looking for software that can be used to control a child's usage of
3 > the computer (not Internet filtering). At the very least it should be
4 > able to control length of login sessions and when the child is able to
5 > login. Ideally it would also be able to control access to programs, for
6 > example education programs can be used for a couple of hours but games
7 > for only 30 mins at a time (net control software can be used to deal with
8 > online versions). There are other situations where this sort of thing is
9 > useful, so it need not necessarily be a package aimed specifically at
10 > parental controls.
11 >
12 > Timekpr looks the ideal candidate, except it hasn't had a release in
13 > over three years.
14 >
15 > Any suggestions?
16
17 I've been studying Kerberos a great deal lately, and so that's naturally
18 where my mind went when I read this. Take the practicality of the idea
19 with a grain of salt. I also make no claims to know exactly how to
20 implement this for programs not already inherently kerberized.
21
22 You might use Kerberos to enforce access limits by associating services
23 with each thing you wish to control, giving the auth tickets a short
24 rollover period, and refusing to regrant after a ticket has been rolled
25 over enough times in one day.
26
27 That easily covers the question of "when the child is able to log in",
28 and could also work for "enforce the length of login sessions" if you're
29 able to use a thin client model, or put the user's profile on a
30 kerberized samba or nfs server. I don't know what mechanisms are
31 available to force clean shutdowns of user sessions, though; anything I
32 can think of risks data loss if apps haven't committed all open data to
33 storage yet.