From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:59:23
1 21.02.2014 12:48, Alan McKinnon пишет:
2 > On 21/02/2014 09:03, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
3 >>> Your idea instantly fails as the rc-service author has no idea of what
4 >>> you defined ${SERVICE} to be and no way to determine what it is now.
5 >>
6 >> Yes, the rc-service author does not have any idea because he is not
7 >> requested to.
8 >> ${SERVICE} obviously comes from `rc-service status ${SERVICE}` .
9 >> The result (e.g. tail -n {$LINES} ${SERVICE}.log) is achieved by:
10 >> 1. putting LINES= in /etc/conf.d/${SERVICE}
11 >> 2. setting up ${SERVICE}.log with syslog. (or putting LOGFILE=... and
12 >> doing `tail -n ${LINES} ${LOGFILE}, or even LAST_LOG_CMD=`mysql -qe
13 >> 'SELECT ... FROM log.log ORDER BY date DESC LIMIT ${LINES}'`, or
14 >> *whatever*)
15 >> 3. adding this `tail -n ...` or whatever call to the init script .
16 >> 4. voila.
17 >>
18 >> If you feel I'm again entirely wrong please point out why.
21 > The faults with your comments are many, and I'm not going to detail them
22 > as that's not my job. I'm going to let you figure it out for yourself in
23 > production why your entire approach is wrong, and simply leave you with
24 > this:
25 >
26 > You violate DRY.
27
28 For an example showing the general possibility to do this, I don't
29 violate anything. One could easily grep a syslog config , or do the
30 opposite (a syslog config generator from service configs), whatever. Of
31 course I didn't write a complete logging-aware init scripts system
32 because it's also not my job. But if it were, I'm pretty sure it's
33 doable under SysV/BSD init in compliance with DRY and ease-of-use for
34 admins. I'm sorry I couldn't convince you of that.
35
36 > You expect the sysadmin to know they must make changes in a restart
37 > config file when they tweak the syslogger so that somehow the init
38 > script continues to get it right. Trust me, sysadmins are not going to
39 > remember to do that, because expecting them to is off the wall crazy.
40 >
41 > I repeat what I and Canek said earlier:
42 >
43 > You've never actually DONE any of this in real life, right?
44
45 What exactly?
46 No, I didn't tweak any init system to print the last N log entries for a
47 service. No, because I don't need it and never did.
48 I *did* set up logging to a remote DB on SunOS and FreeBSD. But actually
49 you're digressing and just going personal, because the question wasn't
50 *how to setup logging* but *the possibility* of such a modification that
51 *prints the last N log entries* in the service status cmd.
54 Regards,
55 Yuri K. Shatroff