From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: persistent /run/* ownership/permissions
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 08:49:00
1 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> The way to do it nowadays would be by placing a file with the content
4 >> d /run/munin 0775 munin nginx
5 >> into /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d (if done by the distribution) or into
6 >> /etc/tmpfiles.d (if this is only needed for your special setup).
7 >
8 > Will do. Is that leading "d " supposed to be there?
9
10 Yes, see
11 http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/tmpfiles.d.html
12
13 > Am I creating and editing /etc/tmpfiles.d or /etc/tmpfiles.d/anyfilename ?
14
15 Actually /etc/tmpfiles.d/anyname.conf (the .conf is important),
16 see the above link.
17
18 Note that /etc/tmpfiles.d/anyname.conf
19 will "cancel" any existing /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/anyname.conf:
20
21 This is so that packages can provide a default (in /usr/lib)
22 which you can override locally. (BTW: If that file is globally
23 needed, I suggest you reoport a bug to *upstream* to install an
24 appropriate file in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d).
25
26 One can argue whether this mechanism is better than etc-update,
27 but it has some advantages: It works for all distributions,
28 and moreover, you can see immediately which modifications
29 you made locally (on the file level as well as with "diff"
30 on a finer level).