From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:53:01
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:51:49 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when it
5 >>> is off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure
6 >>> they were a long time ago.
7 >> Not sure about Serial, I always did even when switched on when using
8 >> external modems in the past and never did have a problem there.
9 > You were lucky, it's like forgetting to look when you cross the road.
10 > Getting away with it once doesn't mean it is safe.
11 >
12 > Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
13 > got away with it before.
17 That's what I was thinking. I have busted a mobo by unplugging a PS/2
18 keyboard too. I thought serial/parallel was the same. I guess that is
19 one reason USB came along, hot plugging stuff.
20
21 One would think that modern stuff would have some sort of protection.
22 Odd.
23
24 Dale
25
29 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!