From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel heat warnings at low temps
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:28:07
1 On 6/27/07, James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 6/26/07, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> writes:
4 > >
5 > > [...]
6 > >
7 > > > What has the hdd temp to do with cpu tmeprature?
8 > >
9 > > [...]
10 > >
11 > > > hddtemp and cputemp are completly and totally unrelated.
12 > >
13 > > [...]
14 > >
15 > > First ... thanks for the other tips..
16 > >
17 > > I think you fellows may have this a bit wrong. I have three video
18 > > editing desktops all running win xp. On them I use a piece of
19 > > software called `Hardware sensors monitor' or Hmonitor.
20 > >
21 > > I've noticed over time (mnths) that when the cpu gets hot, the hdd are
22 > > also at elevated temps. Maybe not critical but well above where the
23 > > run normally.
24 > >
25 > > This is on three different midtower boxes, so I have surmized that
26 > > although the heating of cpu may not be related mechanically to hdd
27 > > temp, in fact they rise and fall together due probably to close
28 > > proximity and being contained in same box.
29 > >
30 > > I realize this is not a definitive experiment but for my uses it does
31 > > work like that.
32 >
33 > Just as a note on a possible explanation for your observations in your
34 > Windows boxes:
35 >
36 > Most likely (CMIIW), when you notice the CPU and HDD temps rise, you
37 > are actively doing video editing - a CPU and memory *and* hard drive
38 > intensive task. When hard drives are "driven hard", they heat up. When
39 > CPU's are "driven hard", they heat up. If the computers main
40 > functionality is a task that tends to "drive hard" both the CPU and
41 > the hard drive, then yes, you will see a correspondence in the CPU/HDD
42 > temperature patterns. However, this does not mean that you *cannot*
43 > drive the CPU hard without driving the HDD hard, and vice versa - just
44 > because the are both being driven hard when you do video editing does
45 > not mean that they are inextricably linked to each other in workload
46 > and temperature profile.
47 >
48 > What operations are being performed on your Gentoo box when you see
49 > these CPU temperature warnings?
50 >
51 > -James
55 > > --
56 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
59 > --
60 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
64 You can drive a CPU heavily without crunching disk IO, just windows
65 doen't do that so well ( espcially the case if you run out of ram and
66 drive into swap,.. which windows seems more predisposed to doing in my
67 experience ). You want an example of how to do this, then open any
68 high-level math software, ie: povray, video-encoding, compression,
69 SETI.
70
71 And you can drive hard-drives heavily without your CPU getting hot
72 too, I think its something related to DMA and the fact we no longer
73 use PIO ( well.. at least i hope not ), simply by performing
74 disk-to-disk transfers ( while there will still be a lot of CPU usage,
75 its still a bit less than you'd get without offloading ), this is
76 especially the case if you have a real RAID system and your doing a
77 RAID controlled mirror ( it has its own processor to control that )
78
79 The similarity in temperatures tho, may be related to the dynamics of
80 case design ( ill pretend to know what im talking about, im no
81 professor on this, but i have worked out how to cut degrees ). In the
82 closed case, most of the time ( at least in my experience ) the
83 majority of hard-drive cooling is passive, relying soley on the
84 lone-case-fan by the CPU, or even relying on the cooling fans in the
85 PSU, and generally, at least in all the tower PCS ive seen, the heat
86 flows out of the hard drives and over the CPU / Northbridge .
87
88 Often, this is a big sodding melting pot of heat, with your GPU just
89 under the northbridge, the CPU just up from the northbridge, that area
90 can get a bit heated, and the extra heat from the hard drives I
91 believe lowers the effectiveness of the CPU cooler somewhat. My
92 solution was not a very pretty one, but it works like a bloody charm.
93
94 I effectively made a breakout-box for my hard drives, ( well, 4 bars
95 of aluminium with holes in it for screwing them together ) with all
96 the hard drives mounted in parallel in a 'portrait' position. ( to
97 allow heat to flow up over the drives unconstricted ) and mounted 2
98 cooling fans on the sides to blow cool air over the hard drives and
99 back into the room ( EM purists look away here .... ) basically
100 isolating the cooling systems as as not to be so codepenant. To do
101 this i need to have my case panels off 24/7, i admit, but my case is
102 so crap that keeping them on is too much effort.
103
104 In summary : CPU temp cannot be accurately measured with HDD sensor
105 probes, ...especially as CPU is up from hard drives in most cases, and
106 heat .. generally rises.
107 If console logs are complainging about CPU over-heat, then either its
108 overheating, your thresholds are too low, ...or whatevers doing the
109 measurement is broken.
110
111 If you cant find out from some in-linux tool what the problem is, ...
112 you may want to find some sort of alternative way of measuring
113 temperature ( ... laser thermometer might be an idea ... )
114
115 Either way, best of luck .
116 --
117 Kent
118 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
119 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
120 --
121 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list