From: John Campbell <jdc.rpv@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: !!!!
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 01:03:46
1 On 08/18/2015 05:29 PM, walt wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:52:53 -0400
3 > Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Like a stupid dumbfuck, I tried to update my machine today....
6 >>
7 >> tortoise ~ # revdep-rebuild
8 >> /bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot
9 >> open shared object file: No such file or directory
10 >> tortoise ~ # ufed
11 >> sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open
12 >> shared object file: No such file or directory
13 >> sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open
14 >> shared object file: No such file or directory
15 >> sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open
16 >> shared object file: No such file or directory
17 >> sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open
18 >> shared object file: No such file or directory
19 >> sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open
20 >> shared object file: No such file or directory
21 >> sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open
22 >> shared object file: No such file or directory
23 >>
24 >> Couldn't determine EPREFIX and PORTDIR from Portage
25 >> INIT failed--call queue aborted.
26 >> tortoise ~ #
27 >>
28 >> !!!!
29 >>
30 >> GOOD JOB, PENGUINS!!!
31 >> I won't even be able to reboot my machine!!!
32 >
33 > In addition to the suggestions already made by other posters, it's good
34 > to keep busybox in mind. Depending on how you boot your machine, there
35 > is usually a way you can pass 'init=/bin/bb' to the kernel at boot time.
36 >
37 > You can do wonderful stuff with busybox when you're in a bind.
38
39 I haven't really been following this closely but I haven't seen any
40 suggestion to use "emerge -1 --quiet=y smart-live-rebuild" to remove
41 the offending curses output. Hopefully emerge doesn't check/use curses
42 unless it's producing actual output.