From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] converting from testing to stable SLOWLY
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 20:56:09
1 On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:18:50 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2
3 > A few months ago a procedure was given for converting from testing to
4 > stable (e.g. ~amd64-->~amd) by essentially waiting for stable to catch
5 > up.
6 >
7 > I believe the basic idea was to unmask a bunch of packages and then as
8 > stable catches up, remove the unmasks. I also believe there was some
9 > automated way to generate the unmasks and maybe a way to see when each
10 > is not needed.
11 >
12 > Can someone repost this msg?
13 > I foolishly did not save it and now want to convert a system to stable
14 > and can afford to do so slowly.
15
16 You can generate the list with
17
18 qlist -ICv | sed -e 's/^/~/' -e 's/-r[1-9]$//' >/etc/portage/package.use/goingstable
19
20 This allows revision updates, which is useful as they usually contain bug
21 or security fixes, but doesn't allow any higher versions.
22
23 Occasionally running eix-test-obsolete will let you know which entries
24 have become redundant because stable has caught up with them.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Committee (noun): A group of people spending hours taking minutes