From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About the change from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:22:19
1 On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:43:58 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > Using only the current setup, that is, one with hal and dbus installed
4 > and one that does not use xorg.conf... and apparently does not use
5 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d either... since that directory is not present.
6 >
7 > But yet an X display happens when I type `startx', apparently
8 > generated somewhere automatically.
9 >
10 > What I'm asking is where does one make customizations to that auto
11 > generated process... something is doing it.. some file or something is
12 > involved... but what and where?
13
14 xorg.conf. X queries your hardware for any settings not given in
15 xorg.conf. This information is not stored anywhere, it is read from your
16 hardware each time you start X. If you want to override anything, put it
17 in xorg.conf. If you want to see what settings X comes up with, run X
18 -configure and look at the xorg.conf file it creates.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 SITCOM: Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage