From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compiling first and then installing using -K
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 05:53:30
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 17/02/2020 20:01, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 17/02/2020 10:26, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> I ran into a issue with qt upgrades and it got interesting.  Since it
6 >>>> was part way through, some applications that I needed wouldn't open
7 >>>> due
8 >>>> to a mismatch in versions. [...]
9 >>>>
10 >>>> !!! --buildpkgonly requires all dependencies to be merged.
11 >>>> !!! Cannot merge requested packages. Merge deps and try again.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> So, I have to emerge packages in order to emerge others.  I get that
14 >>>> packages depend on each other but is there a way around that?
15 >>> You'd need to maintain two gentoo installs (A and B) with the same
16 >>> exact configuration with B serving as the build machine. Then you'd
17 >>> emerge the packages in B, make binary packages out of every package,
18 >>> and then emerge those in A.
21 >> Would a chroot work for that?  I'm pretty sure it would but want to be
22 >> certain before I set all that up.  I'm pretty sure I can dig around and
23 >> find a hard drive somewhere.
24 >
25 > Sure. Although it might be easier to use a container instead (like LXD
26 > or Docker.)
27 >
28 > Grub has nothing to do with it. You wouldn't actually run grub in the
29 > container or chroot. You'd only install the grub package.
30 >
31 > A VM like Mark suggested would probably be even easier to set up.
32 > Although getting to the packages would be more complicated and it
33 > would also be slower (and with the recent meltdown/spectre mitigation
34 > stuff, probably much slower.) A chroot or container on the other hand
35 > is extremely lightweight. There's no virtualization involved (or very
36 > little of it), so it should be pretty much as fast as a native system.
41 Well, I downloaded the starge3 tarball.  I then copied over my /etc,
42 world, all the portage stuff such as distfiles, binaries and the tree as
43 well.  I also copied over any local overlays I had as well.  Since I
44 want to end up with a system as close to what I have, so that the
45 binaries will be a perfect match, I figured copy over all the variables
46 and settings with it.  I can't even get through a simple emerge -e
47 system.  It's either circular deps, slot conflicts or some other error.
48 The last one was something about a corrupted /dev.  I'm not sure what to
49 make of that yet.  After I got that, it refused to do anything at all.
50 It acted like it was out of drive space/memory or something but it
51 isn't.  It's on a 750GB drive with a lot of space left yet.  I have
52 32GBs of memory here with 3/4s currently available.
53
54 So, I'm doing a rm on that and starting over from scratch.  I guess I'll
55 just have to move the contents of world over a few at a time and hope
56 copying make.conf and the USE line over won't break anything.
57
58 I'm sure it was my method.  I likely overwhelmed emerge but I'd hate to
59 know I had to reinstall from scratch and get back to a identical install.
60
61 Some things that I vaguely recall; freetype, harfbuzz, zlib and issues
62 they created.  I got around a couple others easy enough but it basically
63 suicided itself after that.
64
65 Off to try this again.
66
67 Dale
68
70
71 P. S. Starting to wonder if I should copy my current install over and
72 start there.  I'd assume skipping /home, /proc and /sys would get me
73 started.  Still, gonna try the stage3 again.  Just for giggles.  Do all
74 this while I cook some BBQ chicken for supper tomorrow night.