From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding a use flag: hwdb
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 07:55:31
1 On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:57:42 -0700
2 Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > Background:
7 >
8 > I enable USE flags by adding them to /etc/portage/package.use. This
9 > file is filled with all sorts of "personal preference customizations"
10 > of my system. This file does not contain "required system USE flags".
11 >
12 > A month ago emerge insisted that I enable a USE flag
13 > "ruby_targets_ruby19" to a bunch of packages on my system. Feeling
14 > uncomfortable adding a "system required" USE flag to package.use (vs
15 > "personal preference customization"), I posted to this list and indeed
16 > learned that I was going about it all wrong! In that particular case,
17 > I should have added 'RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19"' to /etc/make.conf.
18 > Actually, the Gentoo team should add this to the profile... presumably
19 > they will eventually do this or have done so already.
20 >
21 > Question:
22 >
23 > Today emerge is asking me to add "=sys-fs/udev-171-r6 hwdb" to
24 > package.use to appease udisk. Just as before, this looks fishy to me
25 > and I would like to get your opinion about how to properly satisfy
26 > this seemingly system-required-use-flag. My gut instinct is that this
27 > USE flag requirement should be handled by the Gentoo team in the
28 > profile or in some other place that I never look at.
29
30 It's not a question of "system" vs "personal preference"
31
32 It's a question of treating USE flags as global or local in scope. The
33 USE variable in make.conf applies globally, and the package.use file
34 applies to individual packages. Portage itself couldn't care how you
35 view the use of your flags, so you should organize them how you see fit.
36
37 See here:
38
39 $ euses -sf hwdb
40 sys-fs/udev:hwdb - read vendor/device string database and add it to
41 udev database
42
43 The flag applies to only one package.
44
45 Some USE flags do not have a sane default so there's no choice the devs
46 can make on your behalf. Especially convenience features like this one
47 - some folk want it, others do not. So the devs delegate the choice to
48 you to apply in any way you see fit.
53 > What do you guys think? Should I append "udev hwdb" to package.use
54 > right after my long list of "personal preference customizations"?
55 >
56 > Thank you,
57 >
58 > Chris
59 >
60 > PS: A snippet from my /etc/portage/package.use:
61 >
62 > # Give a GUI to cmake
63 > dev-util/cmake qt4
64 >
65 > # Enable nice mounts in gnome
66 > gnome-base/gvfs fuse
67 >
68 > # Enable plotting in octave
69 > sci-mathematics/octave gnuplot
70 >
71 > # Enable GNOME right-click to create targz
72 > app-arch/file-roller nautilus
73 >
74 > # Satisfy a dependency I do not understand needed by a package I
75 > never heard of =sys-fs/udev-171-r6 hwdb
81 Alan McKinnnon
82 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com