From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:00:35
1 On Saturday 28 Jun 2014 15:50:23 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 28 June 2014 09:15:47 Dale wrote:
3 > > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > --->8
5 >
6 > > >> But that's not your main problem. You got those filenames because the
7 > > >> source disk somehow has a problem and the names couldn't be read
8 > > >> properly. So junk was used instead.
9 >
10 > I thought it was more like: the file lister didn't recognise those bytes as
11 > valid characters so it printed a question-mark for each of them. If it is
12 > so, it's no use Dale looking for files with question-marks in their names.
13 >
14 > --->8
15 >
16 > > It listed some files with a question mark in it but not the ones I am
17 > > looking for. So, is it possible that since it couldn't read the file it
18 > > just skipped them?
19 >
20 > It may not be true that it couldn't read the files; it just couldn't
21 > translate their names into text characters. The names are not held in the
22 > files whose names they are but somewhere in the inode structure. Someone
23 > with better knowledge of this (i.e.any at all) will have to explain what
24 > goes wrong if bytes on the disk adjacent to the file names get damaged
25 > along with the names.
26 >
27 > > I used rsync to do the copy instead of cp. Maybe that is it or
28 > > otherwise, I have a ton of directories to go diggin in to find them
29 > > since it isn't the one I thought it was.
30 >
31 > Do you know any characters in those dodgy names, Dale? If so, you may be
32 > able to use /usr/bin/find like so (hoping this isn't a grandma's egg -
33 > apologies if it is):
34 >
35 > find /path-to-files -iname \*known-part-of-name\* {} +
36
37 It could have something to do with the character set of the
38 terminal/application Vs the character set that the original file was created
39 as. If you have UTF8 set as your default character encoding, you should
40 hopefully be OK. If it shows ? in the name and 0 bytes size, it is likely a
41 corrupt file.
42
43 You can also try ddrescue with --input-position=<bytes> and --max-size=<bytes>
44 to retrieve just the borked part of the disk.
45 --
46 Regards,
47 Mick