From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 05:57:31
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 24 December 2019 20:42:07 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think I'm just going to have to whittle down the number for a while.
5 >> Maybe later on a fix will come along. Maybe.
6 > What happens if you switch off file indexing in the control panel, or just its
7 > subsidiary option Also Index file content? Workspace > Search > Enable File
8 > Search.
12 I looked around in the System Settings window and can't find that
13 setting.  Am I looking in the right place?  I sort of think this is a
14 separate thing tho.  It may be using the same tool but won't be
15 controlled by system settings.  Anything is possible tho.  I'll
16 certainly test the option if I can find it. ;-)
17
18 Here's what I did test tho.  I added a couple more smaller directories.
19 It would make short use of the CPU but it seemed to finish.  Then I
20 picked one that is plenty large enough to allow me to see just how long
21 it takes.  The directory I used has a little under 800 sub-directories
22 and about 13,700 files.  When I added it, it pegged one core at 100% for
23 over a minute.  It seemed to finish its task and went back to normal.
24 During that, the desktop locked up just like it did on login when the
25 huge directory was selected.  The next test, see if it does it at each
26 login or if it only does it once and then on the next login, it uses the
27 previously generated index/db/whatever or if it repeats building that
28 index/db/whatever on each login.  If it is the former, I can add them a
29 little at a time and work with that. If it is the later one, well,
30 that's a issue.
31
32 Thing is, if the tool that is used to do this is turned off, it may
33 break the slideshow option as well since it seems pretty much bent on
34 building a index/db of these images.  While the devs may be using a
35 buggy tool, as Wols pointed out, it seems that having a large number of
36 wallpapers just isn't feasible at the moment.  Either the devs need to
37 change the tool or change the way it works without that tool at all, the
38 way KDE3 did it for example.
39
40 Maybe a fix will be upcoming, eventually.
41
42 Dale
43
45
46 P. S.  Some may recall me using a HDMI splitter to run my TV in my
47 bedroom and living room at the same time with the same video. I
48 mentioned once that my bedroom TV would blink from a brief signal loss.
49 It would only be a second or so but it was annoying.  I replaced the
50 HDMI cable, no problems since. I have not seen a single blink. Odd thing
51 is, the first cable was pricey.  Second cable was half the cost.  Go
52 figure.  ROFL