From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] big problem, small solution
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:28:17
1 On 6/30/06, Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 > Hardware problems come up here occasionally & experiences deserve swapping.
3 >
4 > Gentoo involves much exercise of the CPU, sometimes making it sweat a lot.
5 > My AMD 2500+ CPU (installed 2003) has been getting hotter & the fan slower.
6 > Here in the summer heat of S Ontario, where my workroom is >= 25 C ,
7 > it had been running at a steady 64 C for a couple of weeks (was 55 C ).
8 > When I tried to emerge GCC 4.1.1 , it reached > 75 C & the box died;
9 > several attempts, the same auto switch-off. No fans to fit at the store
10 > & all available CPUs are 64-bit nowadays, ie build another machine.
11 >
12 > So I opened up the box, removed the fan & the heat-sink,
13 > blew & wiped all the dust away, smeared on some silicon heat-conductor
14 > carefully kept from the original package 3 years ago, put it back together.
15 >
16 > Now the fan is running at 4400 RPM (was 4000 ) & the CPU is at 51 C ,
17 > rising only to 58 C while successfully compiling GCC 4.1.1 .
18 > Hopefully, I won't need to build a new machine till well into 2007 .
21 I have a Pentium IV 2.6GHz (HP pavilion notebook), I used to have temp
22 issues, specially compiling, also, the battery was being drained fast.
23 I followed Gentoo guide in acpi and cpufreqd, created some VERY
24 specific rules, and never saw my note get too hot again (73C is the
25 shutdown temp). At high load, it gets to 66C and the cpufreqd daemon
26 puts the CPU at 2.2 or 2.4GHZ, and the temperature gets stable, even
27 with the fans semi-blocked. This also granted more battery lifetime,
28 and now it stays 2 hours wake with no problems (before, iddle, it
29 would last 45 min).
32 Daniel da Veiga
33 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
39 --