From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: hdparm && Compact Flash
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:26:24
1 Simon <turner25 <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > I am another newbie trying to answer a question, here on my eeepc
4 > 701, hdparm gives even more limited information. This is a 2g
5 > kingston compact flash. (Note that even though last line reports i/o
6 > error, nothing was written in /var/log/messages about it). I suspect
7 > device drivers to yield a block device asap but let optimizations and
8 > other extras aside.
11 Well I was looking for one of the wise (you7ng)old masters to answer.
12 Since that did not happen, I just 'brute forced' a solution, that is
13 optimal (hopefully) for my hardware. Here's what I did, so it may or
14 may not help you.
17 You can make adjustments to hdparm dynamically at the command line like so
18
19 hdparm -c1 /dev/hda < your /dev/drive may differ so adjust accordingly>
20
21 hdparm -tT /dev/hda < this perform a simple throughput test>
22
23 hdparm -a 256 -m16 -c1 /dev/hda < make some adjustments and retest >
24
25 hdparm -m4 -c1 /dev/hda < gave me the best results for my hardware>
28 Thus my /etc/conf.d/hdparm file looks like this:
29
30 # These setting for the 4 gig CF Sandisc card seem to be optimal
31 hda_args="-m4 -c1 "
35 If you really wanted to go all out testing, use bonnie or bonnie++,
36 both are in portage.
39 hth,
40 James