From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Openoffice being replaced?
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:18:30
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
3 >
4 >
5 >> Alex Schuster wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Dale writes:
8 >>>
9 >
10 >>>> But if you emerge something and it has to be fetched first, is that
11 >>>> counted in the time genlop shows or not? That is the question. I
12 >>>> don't think it is counted but I'm not sure.
13 >>>>
14 >>> That's what I thought, too, but then I simply tried to be sure.
15 >>> Download time _is_ counted.
16 >>>
17 >> Now we know. If I was on dial-up again, I could sure test that theory.
18 >> 3KBs/sec would certainly make a difference. :-( Pardon me if I refuse
19 >> to go back tho. I like youtube to much.
20 >>
21 > It's easier than that, I simply emerged vanilla-sources-3.0 after deleting
22 > the tarball. I did not use my digital wrist-watch which I could have done,
23 > instead I looked into emerge.log. The long numbers to the left are seconds
24 > since 1970, the difference is what genlop uses. The only question was
25 > whether it uses the line 'emerge (x of y) category/package-version to /' or
26 > '(x of y) Compiling/Packaging ...' to determine the start time.
27 >
28 >
29
30 Smarty pants. :-P LOL
31
32 >>>> I set mine to fetch in the
33 >>>> background so most of the time the fetch is done after a couple
34 >>>> packages gets compiled.
35 >>>>
36 >>> What about parallel emerges? I guess genlop will not take this into
37 >>> account.
38 >>>
39 >> I would think not. As long as the tarball is downloaded before emerge
40 >> gets to it to compile. I doubt it would even know how long it took to
41 >> download either.
42 >>
43 > I wasn't talking about the download time here, but about the total time. If
44 > I emerge two independent packages A and B, which take one hour each to
45 > build, what does genlop say if I use emerge -j and they build in parallel?
46 > This would take about two hours for each. And indeed, that's what genlop
47 > says. So genlop -t is inaccurate when you are emerging with the -j option.
48 >
49 > Wonko
50 >
51 >
52
53 Yea, when you have multiple compiles running at the same time, genlop is
54 off from then on. It is the only thing I don't like about that option.
55 Doing a genlop -t <package name> is no longer accurate either. I do use
56 that sometimes too.
57
58 Dale
59