From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] deep emerge and masked Xorg
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:42:11
1 On Friday 07 August 2009 18:39:27 Skippy wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I would like to use emerge -D on my system, but it is pretty
5 > consistently blocked. You can see an example of this below.
6 >
7 > I think the reason for this is because I have masked Xorg. I'm still
8 > running 1.3.0.0-r6. My last attempt to upgrade Xorg resulted in a
9 > totally hosed system which had to be restored from backups.
10 >
11 > Is there a way I can do a deep emerge and have the latest versions of
12 > Xorg masked? Or is such an action simply not possible without
13 > upgrading Xorg?
14 >
15 > Thanks much, Skippy
16
17 Gentoo does not keep ebuilds around in the tree forever. New versions get
18 added, old ones get removed. Sooner or later you will have a situation where a
19 newer package requires something that you have explicitly denied and there is
20 no workaround.
21
22 For you, that time has obviously arrived. You have a few options:
23
24 1. Find out how to get Xorg to work on your kit, and do so.
25 2. Stop updating your tree
26 3. Keep working versions of your current ebuilds in a local overlay where
27 --sync won't trash them, mask all later versions, repeat for every package
28 that causes this, and continue to do so for the life of the hardware.
29
30 The only really feasible course is #1. #2 is too stupid to warrant discussion.
31 #3 can work, but quickly gets tedious.
32
33 If your current system works and you want to follow #3, you'll find your
34 current ebuilds in /var/db/pkg/<cat>/<package>. Be warned that this will keep
35 biting you from here on out and gets real tedious real quick.
36
37 Did I mention that you should rather just work at getting X to work on your
38 kit?
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com