From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Development framework with access restriction?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:51:09
1 On Sunday 02 Oct 2011 00:27:23 Grant wrote:
2 > >>> I'm not sure if you are overcomplicating this by trying to use Unix
3 > >>> permission. Have you instead considered webdav? You can restrict this
4 > >>> to particular (apache) users/groups, directories, files. It also uses
5 > >>> lockfiles so with two users editing a file simultaneously will cause a
6 > >>> warning when you try to save it.
7 > >>
8 > >> How does webdav relate to something like subversion? Do they
9 > >> compliment each other or are they substitutes?
10 > >>
11 > >> - Grant
12 > >
13 > > WebDAV has no version control. It is just an extension to HTTP for
14 > > distributed authoring. It supports locking files and methods which make
15 > > it more filesystem-like. AFAIK SVN uses WebDAV for its HTTP transfer
16 > > protocol.
17 >
18 > Got it. It sounds like I could use WebDAV in conjunction with
19 > subversion or git. I'll look into that.
20
21 The reason I mentioned webdav(s) earlier was because you can have granular
22 control of what each user can access. You need specify only what
23 directory/file you want them to be able to access and they shouldn't have
24 access to anything else.
25
26 Also, you don't need to give them shell access - which I find
27 (psychologically) more reassuring. ;-)
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick