From: Michel Catudal <mcatudal@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAS: keyboard stops working] Recent kernels block the loading of non-GPL kernel modules
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 23:57:46
1 Le 2015-08-19 19:14, Michael Orlitzky a écrit :
2 > On 08/19/2015 06:21 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>> Copyright law makes everything illegal. Downloading the source and
4 >>> reading it is illegal. Why wouldn't it be illegal? The copyright holders
5 >>> have made it clear that you have no license to do so.
6 >>>
7 >> If I distribute a binary kernel module, I'm not copying anything that
8 >> I didn't write. I'm the copyright holder of the binary kernel module.
9 >>
10 > Anything you can do without the kernel source code is legal, sure. But
11 > we're talking about...
12 >
13 > 1. Downloading the kernel source (making a copy of) it.
14 > 2. Patching it.
15 > 3. Linking it with closed source code.
16 > 4. Distributing the result.
17 >
18 > (If that's not what you have in mind, maybe we are at cross purposes).
19 >
20 > Step #1 is illegal unless you have a licence. The burden of proof is on
21 > you to show that you were allowed to do it.
24 >> That is why I want you to actually look up the letter of the law,
25 >> because if the specific action being done isn't in the letter of the
26 >> law, then those claiming copyright have an uphill battle ahead of
27 >> them.
28 >>
29 > I'm not going to go look up whatever statute says "you can't make a copy
30 > of copyrighted stuff" =P
34 All the Linux manufacturer has to do is provide a kernel with the bullshit parts removed. It can provide a script to install the proprietary driver.
35 A judge would throw out of court any ridiculous complaint about someone installing a good video driver on their computer because they do not like the trash that came with it.
36
37 Manufacturers of video cards have plenty of customers with Winblows and MAC. They cannot afford to release information that their competition can use to steal their market share.
38 Business is a very competitive market, industrial espionage is not the only thing companies have to worry about it.
39
40 Our choice here is either to have a decent display or crap, my choice is the first. For the dev of the kernel to attempt to keep us from having decent display is uncalled for.
41 The day I will use nouveau instead of the good nvidia driver as my father use to say, in the week of three thursdays.
44 For Linux Software visit
45 http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal
46 http://sourceforge.net/projects/suzielinux/