From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 22:24:03
1 >>> The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
2 >>> also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea.  The system is for
3 >>> playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever.  If you're familiar
4 >>> with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
5 >>> as a motherboard and other components?  Any features a Gentoo'er
6 >>> should look for?
7 >>>
8 >>> - Grant
9 >>
10 >> Is Nvidia still the way to go instead of ATI?
11 >
12 > Yep.  Unless you have old ATI hardware.  Current hardware doesn't work well.
13 >  Since he wants to buy new stuff, NVidia is recommended.
14
15 That's what I was afraid of. The fact that Nvidia has stopped making
16 onboard video will pose a problem. I could install an Nvidia video
17 card but I'm trying to keep temps low and I don't want a third fan in
18 the case.
19
20 - Grant