From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba wants to downgrade my python....
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:38:29
1 Am Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:59:33 +0800
2 schrieb Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>:
3
4 > Hi all,
5
6 Hi,
7
8 > I've got a media server that I'm in the process of installing Samba on.
9 > When I do:
10 >
11 > emerge -NuD --pretend samba
12 >
13 > I get a list of stuff that portage wants to install, including Python,
14 > V2.7.3, even though the machine already has V3.2.3 installed. I've also
15 > stripped down the USE variables to basically "server" and that's all and
16 > still for some reason portage wants to bring in Python - the older
17 > version, V2. I've even added a "-python" to packages.use and it still
18 > wants python, V2. I've had a look at the USE variables for the packages
19 > that follow Python in the emerge list and they either don't want python
20 > or already have "-python" set.
21 >
22 > Having a play around with equery also didn't reveal anything. Does
23 > anyone have any ideas as to what's causing old Python to be brought in?
24 > I haven't posted the whole "emerge --info" stuff yet as hopefully
25 > someone has come across this problem before.
26
27 First of all: Python 2 and 3 are (partly) incompatible versions of the language.
28 They can be installed in parallel in different slots (the emerge output will
29 have contained "NS" at one point, for "New Slot"). So you are not so much
30 downgrading python as installing an older version in addition to the current
31 version. Although "older" and "newer" are misleading, since they have both been
32 under active development in parallel since Python 3 was released.
33
34 Second: you can use the "-t" (or "--tree") option of emerge to get a tree view
35 of the dependencies, so that you can see what exactly is pulling in
36 python-2.7.3. But it sounds like some dependency of samba has a hard dependency
37 on Python 2, so you probably cannot control it.
38
39 > Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
40 >
41 > Andrew
42
43 HTH
44 --
45 Marc Joliet
46 --
47 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
48 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup