From: Andreas Niederl <rico32@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo for many servers
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:01:12
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> clusterssh will let you log into many machines at once and run emerge
5 >> -avuND world everywhere
6 >
7 > This is way cool. I just started using it on eight Fedora servers I am
8 > administrating. Nice, now this is an improvement over my 'for $h in
9 > $HOSTS; do ssh $h "yum install foo"; done' approach.
10
11 You could have a look at app-admin/puppet [1][2] which supposedly takes
12 car of these things.
15 [...]
16 > Now I am thinking about a Gentoo installation instead.
17 >
18 > Pros:
19 > - Continuous updates, no downtime for upgrading, only when I decide to
20 > install a new kernel. This is really really cool. I fear the upgrade from
21 > Fedora 10 to 12 which has to be done soon.
22
23 > - Some improvement in speed. Those machines do A LOT of numbercrunching,
24 > which jobs often lasting for days, so even small improvements would be
25 > nice.
26 > - Easier debugging. When things do not work, I think it's easier to dig
27 > into the problem. No fancy, but sometimes buggy GUIs hiding basic
28 > functionality.
29
30 These two things would probably be your best selling points for your idea.
33 > - Heck, Gentoo is _cooler_ than typical distributions. And emerging with
34 > distcc on about 8*4 cores would be fun :)
35
36 Being 'cool' doesn't count, at least last time I looked.
39 > - I am probably the only one who can administrate them.
40
41 That is a huge disadvantage.
44 > Cons:
45 > - If something will not work with this not so common (meta)distribution,
46 > people will say "always trouble with your Gentoo Schmentoo, it works fine
47 > in Fedora". Fedora is more mainstream, if something does not work there,
48 > then it's okay for the people to accept it.
49 > - I fear that big packages like Matlab are made for and tested on the
50 > typical distributions, and may have problems with the not-so-common
51 > Gentoo. I think someone here just had such a problem with Mathematica
52 > (which we do currently not use).
53 [...]
54
55 If you're using commercial software which is only supported by Redhat,
56 Novell, etc. then you should think twice about replacing it.
57
58 But I'm guessing that those packages don't have to be installed on every
59 machine.
60 So, I'd suggest that you use Gentoo on those boxes where you'd have the
61 biggest advantage using it and no or minimal disadvantages.
64 > - I am probably the only one who can administrate them. I think Gentoo is
65 > easier to maintain in the long run, but only when you take the time to
66 > learn it. With Fedora, you do not need much more than the 'yum install'
67 > command. There is no need to read complicated X.org upgrade guides and
68 > such.
69 [...]
70
71 Please do your colleagues and successors a favor and document your whole
72 setup really good.
75 Regards,
76 Andi
77