From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:30:56
1 On 25/06/2013 23:44, Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 21:59:20 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 25/06/2013 21:10, Mick wrote:
4 >>> Hi All,
5 >>>
6 >>> I am considering my options for a new rig destined to last a few years
7 >>> and one of the Dell machines on offer has this Intel SRT fake-raid
8 >>> feature, which after some cursory googling, I am not entirely sure will
9 >>> work with Linux.
10 >>
11 >> bah, that fake-raid. Just discard it completely, it's a way for windows
12 >> uses who don't have lvm-awesomeness to have big drives and not have to
13 >> do anything to get it.
14 >
15 > I think it is used to RAID the SSD onto the hard drive, so that it can be
16 > replicated onto a new SSD if/when the original goes bad.
17
18 This is a laptop right?
19
20 That makes no sense - when you mirror RAID an SSD onto a spinning disk,
21 you get a combined drive the size of the spinning disk and the SSD
22 becomes a fashion accessory. Which is why Dell usually disable RAIDing
23 an SSD and regular disk in the purchase options
27 >> Just use lvm and/or software raid to do the job right. You will not
28 >> regret using the appropriate tool for the job like this.
29 >
30 > OK, so dmraid and mdadm will do the same for Linux?
31
32 Yes
35 > How do people mirror their SD onto the SATA, or what is the recommended way to
36 > safeguard the SSD installed OS?
37
38 You copy it. You do not raid it. With two disks, just rsync over
39 whatever you need whenever you need to do it.
40
41 Unless that is, Dell's website is using the PR/Marketing definition of
42 what RAID is. By definition, no-one that ever reads this mailing list
43 can understand that definition
47 >>> As a side issue, I am not sure whether to fork out for an i7 Haswell, or
48 >>> go for good ol' AMD FX-8350 ...
49 >>>
50 >>> Is the single thread i7 superiority going to trump AMDs 8 real cores for
51 >>> web development, image editing and browsing activities?
52 >>
53 >> Your cell phone will cope with that work load just fine
54 >
55 > Ha! I'm still using an old Nokia feature phone and I mostly use it to make
56 > telephone calls! O_O
59 >> Don't stress about it, your question is on the order of magnitude of
60 >> wondering if 5 horses or 4 camels are better for carrying one paper bag
61 >> of groceries home from the supermarket. The truth is, the basket in
62 >> front of granny's bicycle is perfectly adequate, and probably faster too
63 >
64 > LOL!!
65 >
66 > So, you're saying that other than at compile time I won't notice the
67 > difference?
68
69 You will notice the grunt those i7s can deliver when you start to do
70 this (sort of typical for mine...):
71
72 3 virtualbox vms running, 1 Windows for IE and Office
73 30 tabs open in firefox
74 emerge world going on set to -j32 -l8
75 30-odd konsole tabs open, often more than half tailing a log file at
76 more than 200 lines a minute
77 the usual desktop apps (mail, skype, movie playing in one corner)
78
79 I sort of just keep loading it up till I run out of things to leave
80 open, and never notice the difference. This is an 8 core i7 with 16G RAM
81 and 128G SSD - complete total overkill for any rational usage, even a
82 busy devops sysadmin - but we get good prices on the company corporate
83 account
84
85 It all comes down to what you really *need* as opposed to how much
86 techie-bling you *want* :-)
89 Alan McKinnon
90 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com