From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Ditch webmail?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:02:09
1 On Thursday 20 December 2007, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > Grant wrote:
3 > > I used mutt for a long time but when I tried squirrelmail my
4 > > productivity when up 5 fold. I'm thinking switching to a desktop app
5 > > would be even better. Plus no PHP on my server.
6 >
7 > I like Thunderbird.
8
9 I think that it is simply a matter of choice of access. If you want to access
10 your messages from anywhere, then a webmail can be useful. On the other hand
11 if you have access to a mail client (laptop, pda, smartphone) then webmail
12 can be redundant. A webmail (unless run on the LAN) will always experience
13 some latency compared to a mail client and over a dial up, well it'll feel
14 glacial.
15
16 I have been using Kmail, which has evolved to become a pretty stable
17 application (well, compared to what it was like 4 years ago ;p ) and have
18 also used Opera's mail client/news agent (because it's simple, lightweight
19 and errm . . . it's just there). On the other hand, if you also use MS
20 Windows, then Thunderbird brings familiarity because it exists on both OS'.
21
22 HTH.
23 --
24 Regards,