From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 02:09:59
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 >> I suggest that you try tmux (or screen) - this is far superiour to
4 >> multitab since you can easily also put it to the background or
5 >> access it remotely
6 >
7 > Screen and tabs are different solutions to different problems. When
8 > working with multiple SSH sessions to different machines, and not using
9 > ClusterSSH, I find it most convenient to have a tab for each host, with
10 > a screen session in that tab.
11
12 I find nested tmux/screen sessions rather convenient, and use them
13 regularly for that purpose (my setup nests them automatically, so
14 I do not have to do anything manually).
15
16 > The main issue with nested screens being that the command
17 > keystrokes seemed to always go to the wrong instance of screen.
18
19 It's just a question to get used to press Ctrl-aa instead of Ctrl-a
20 for remote/chroot sessions. Up to the rare instances when I run a
21 chroot within a remote session and thus have to press even Ctrl-aaa,
22 this is something I do not even have to think about anymore.
23 Even if I should be unsure, a look at the bottom of the screen shows me
24 immediately which nesting level I am in.