From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] File transfer via USB?
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 23:57:24
1 On 4/22/21 9:25 AM, karl@××××××××.se wrote:
2 > No IP doesn't prohibit ethernet.
3
4 I agree technically. Though I suspect it /may/ be problematic with the
5 spirit behind / motivating the ban on IP.
6
7 > You could possible use:
8 > raw ethernet frames
9
10 Do you have any recommendations of utilities for each side?
11
12 > netbeui
13 > samba
14
15 I thought that Samba has *LONG* been NetBIOS over TCP/IP (a.k.a. NBT).
16 Is NetBEUI code /still/ in Samba?
17
18 > ethertalk (appletalk)
19 > http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/
20 > ipx (netware)
21 > ftp://ftp.koansoftware.com/public/opensource/mars_nwe/mars_nwe-0.99.pl21.tgz
22
23 I believe that IPX support has been removed from 4.<something> kernels.
24 Maybe 5.<something>.
25
26 DECnet Phase III or Phase IV.
27
28 > I have previously (in the 90's) used mars, worked great.
29
30 I've never run MARS but I've done more than a little with Novell
31 NetWare. I recently had a 4.14 kernel mount an NCPFS from a server.
32 (4.14 obviously still has IPX.)
37 Grant. . . .
38 unix || die