From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems getting started with vmware
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 04:04:22
1 I had almost no problems doing a stage 1 Gentoo install, so I can
2 RTFM, providing that TFM is half-decently written. vmware's manual is
3 not very helpful.
4
5 Right now my main problem is getting started. I've "~x86" keyworded
6 the necessary items for vmware-server and vmware-server-console to get
7 installed in Gentoo. I've added the user account to the vmware group,
8 and logged out and in.
9
10 Looking at the console, I get the impression that I'm supposed to
11 connect to a running vmware host. Acting on a wild hunch, I dug through
12 "/etc/init.d/" and noticed "vmware". So I tried the obvious...
13 "/etc/init.d/vmware start". I got a couple of messages about needing to
14 emerge vmware-modules, and running the config utility. I did both. The
15 config utility asks for a 20-digit-serial-number. Huh, I though this
16 was free? When I cancel, it says that I can't power on a VM until I
17 enter a licence number, but the server does appear to start.
18
19 When I start vmware-server-console in an xterm, I get the following
20 message...
21
22 waltdnes@m3000 ~ $ vmware-server-console
23 /opt/vmware/server/console/lib/bin/vmware-server-console: /opt/vmware/server/console/lib/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
24
25 The console menus are mostly greyed out, and the new virtual machine
26 menu item doesn't work (no licence number?). Now what?
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
30 My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list