From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] ogg/mp3 volume
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 17:39:34
1 On May 21, 2012 11:22 PM, "luis jure" <ljc@××××××××××××.uy> wrote:
2 >
3 > on 2012-05-21 at 22:14 Andrew Lowe wrote:
4 >
5 > > I have no intention of applying whatever process to the media machine,
6 > > the tracks on that remain as ripped. I only want to "fiddle" the tracks
7 > > on the memory stick.
8 >
9 > your files are mp3, right? what you want to do is fairly simple, just use
10 > media-sound/mp3gain
11 >
12 > just direct your browser to http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ and get some
13 > background. i haven't found much documentation on-line, just install it
14 and
15 > run mp3gain -h.
16 >
17 > i guess this is what you need, because:
18 >
19 > 1. the application does not perform normalization (which would mean
20 > decoding and re-encoding ), it only adjusts the replaygain tag in the mp3
21 > file;
22 >
23 > 2. the adjustment is not based on peak amplitude, but on the ReplayGain
24 > "loudness" algorithm (don't know much of the details, but basically it's
25 > RMS calculation with some psychoacoustic adjustments, based on the
26 "lodness
27 > curve").
28 >
29 > check these options:
30 >
31 > -r - apply Track gain automatically (all files set to equal loudness)
32 > -k - automatically lower Track/Album gain to not clip audio
33 > -a - apply Album gain automatically (files are all from the same
34 > album: a single gain change is applied to all files, so their
35 > loudness relative to each other remains unchanged, but the average
36 > album loudness is normalized)
39 Unfortunately, that only works with mp3 files.
40
41 Since the OP explicitly mentions ogg, I can only recommend foobar2000.
42
43 That said, if OP is willing to transcode his ogg (and flac, if any)
44 collection to mp3, then I agree that mp3gain is the best, failsafe
45 alternative (i.e., since it tweaks the "global gain" parameter of the mp3
46 file, virtually all music players will be compatible).
47
48 Rgds,