From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: usb diagnostic tool
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:05:45
1 Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu <at> unlimitedmail.org> writes:
4 > I need to be sure that the usb port on my laptop is broken, to have it
5 > replaced.
6 > So far, the only evidence I have is a kernel oops during the sysresccd
7 > boot, and some strange behaviour when plugging certain devices in
8 > Windows (eg, an usb mp3 player stick that turns itself off spontaneously
9 > after a few seconds).
10 > So, I need a serious hardware diagnostic program to thoroughly test the
11 > port and the controller, not necessarily running under linux or
12 > opensource.
13 > Could you please give me some suggestions?
14
15 Well, depending on your chipset/drivers you use, you may want to
16 'use the force, read the source' from a kernel/driver perspective
17 if all else fails? (sometimes there's a debug mode for hardware).
18 For starters, poke around:
19 /usr/portage/dev-libs/libusb
20
21 google for 'usb diagnostic'
22
23 usbview <is a basic admin tool, maybe not too diag oriented though>
24
25 emerge -s usb
26 will give you a listing of some specific applications for specific
27 hardware. Maybe one of those applications has some advanced diags
28 that will allow you to troubleshoot your usb subsystem, by
29 running diags on a specific usb device?
30
31 You may want to also look on the net for a 'usb sniffer' to sniff
32 your usb data traffic. That will ensure your problem is in your
33 hardware, and not a firmware upgrade issue to your usb(bios). Also
34 make sure your problems are related to other usb devices and not just
35 a single usb device. That way you have confidence that the usb
36 subsystem is at fault and not a specific device's hardware/software.
37
38 HTH,
39
40 James