From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way forward?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 15:42:47
1 On 2/25/21 2:51 AM, Michael wrote:
2 > It would probably be better even with a lot of customizations. ;-)
3
4 Please elaborate on what "better" means in this case. I'm thinking that
5 you might be meaning "faster" and / or "easier" (as in less effort).
6
7 > At least it /should/ be better in terms of time and effort spent.
8
9 Maybe.
10
11 > A reinstall in this context is not a wholesale replace.
12
13 ~blink~
14
15 > It implies obtaining the latest Stage 3 archive from a mirror,
16 > but retaining part of your current installation. Your /home, /etc,
17 > /var/lib/portage/world, plus any databases e.g. in /var/lib/mysql/
18 > and your kernel config will be retained from your existing system and
19 > will not be replaced. Back these up first along with any particular
20 > customizations you have made, before you untar Stage 3, so you can
21 > restore them.
22
23 Ah. You seem to be talking about what I would call an "in place
24 upgrade" for Windows. As in stalling n over top of n-1 or n-2. That's
25 definitely less disruptive than I was thinking. I was thinking that
26 fdisk and / or mkfs would be involved.
27
28 > Then rsync portage, update all your @world packages and build a new
29 > kernel (make oldconfig). Spend some time merging existing application
30 > config files with etc-update to make them compatible with the latest
31 > versions of these packages, reboot and hopefully that should be all
32 > there is to it.
33
34 I may end up /needing/ to go that route. For the moment, I'm going to
35 try the incremental updates.
36
37 > Yes, it would have been, but what is the benefit of updating multiple
38 > packages many times over, instead of doing it just once?
39
40 In some ways, this is a learning experience. As in it's a proof of concept.
41
42 The computer in question spends 2/3 of it's life doing nothing but
43 idling a few programs. So, it spending time compiling and producing
44 heat is not a bad thing in this case. Especially when there's 10" of
45 snow on the ground. ;-)
50 Grant. . . .
51 unix || die