From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd-197-r1 starts gdm-3.6.2 [now gnome3]
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 03:23:34
1 On 02/12/2013 12:26 PM, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> GNOME 3.6 is not masked in Gentoo, just keyworded.
4 >
5 > Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but I've been curious if anyone
6 > knows the current state of Gnome 3 in Gentoo?
7
8 Heh. That's a complicated question, and I'm ready to give you a complicated
9 answer but I probably can't stay awake that long :)
10
11 Most important: are you ready to suffer long hours of learning/debugging/hair-
12 pulling/screaming to help guide the future of gnome3? Big question, and I'm
13 still trying to decide for myself after months of not deciding :)
14
15 I loved gnome2 and I wish for the good old days because every step the gnome3
16 devs have taken is a mystery to me. They probably have a grand vision for the
17 future of the gnome desktop, but it's been nothing but a PITA for me because
18 along the way they've removed some features from apps that I use everyday for
19 important stuff like, scheduling/keeping appointments on time, etc.
20
21 In my arrogant opinion, gnome3 is betaware (just-barely-beyond-alphaware) and
22 you should 'up'grade only if you're willing to live with that excitement.
23
24 One little tidbit of good news (IMO) is that the gnome3 devs have decided to
25 maintain a 'legacy' gnome desktop for those of us who don't like gnome-shell,
26 which I definitely don't (but Canek definitely does).
27
28 I suggest you try the latest gnome3 liveCD in a virtual machine so you don't
29 have to risk your current gnome2 install.
30
31 It's a big step, and one you may want to postpone if you're not ready for
32 hard work and big headaches.
33
34 IOW, try gnome3 on a virtual machine first :)