From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] serial port identification question
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 22:02:08
1 On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:10:46 -0600
2 Dale wrote:
3
4 > David Relson wrote:
5 > > My mobo has two serial ports.
6 > >
7 > > As reported by hwinfo they are:
8 > >
9 > > Serial Port 0: 0x3f8
10 > > Serial Port 1: 0x2f8
11 > >
12 > > After booting the machine, dmesg indicates that tty0 is the console
13 > > with message:
14 > >
15 > > console [tty0] enabled
16 > >
17 > > /dev names a multitude of tty devices,
18 > > i.e. /dev/tty0, /dev/tty1, ...
19 > >
20 > > How do I determine which devices correspond to the serial ports?
21 > >
22 > > Thanks.
23 > >
24 > > David
28 > Mine is /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 . I put both devices so you will
29 > notice what is alpha and what is numeric. Also note the S is capitol
30 > as well.
31 >
32 > Dale
33 >
34 > :-) :-)
35
36 My /dev/tty* didn't include any /dev/ttyS* entries. Searching the web,
37 I learned that "MAKEDEV /dev/ttyS0" and "MAKEDEV /dev/ttyS1" will
38 create the missing entries and that "stty -F /dev/ttyS0 -a" will
39 provide configuration information for the port.
40
41 My little Serial.cpp class is now successfully writing to the port (as
42 proved by my son running Hyperterminal and receiving the sent
43 characters). However, receiving characters isn't yet working.
44 Neither his hyperterminal nor my sender (with a loopback plug) is
45 receiving.