From: Anthony Youngman <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A portage nuisance
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 20:39:17
1 On 28/10/17 20:54, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Portage cannot do that, it is backed by silicon and has no concept of
3 > meaning. So it has only one real choice - it can do it all or it does
4 > not try.
5 >
6 > I'm not surprised Zac never tried implementing partial graph resolution
7 > for the very simple reason that if you try do it, you have no idea what
8 > is going to be built. That is the opposite of what portage must deliver.
9
10 Why is it the opposite of what portage *must* deliver? All I'm asking is
11 that portage build *what it can*. In other words, I know EXACTLY what it
12 is going to deliver - its best effort!
13
14 And why does portage *have* to choose between all or nothing? All I'm
15 asking is that if it can't resolve everything, I want it to resolve
16 everything it can. Silicon is perfectly capable of making that decision.
17
18 If I say "emerge -u world" I have no idea what it's going to build, if I
19 say "emerge -u best-efforts", I have no idea what it's going to build,
20 where's the difference?
21
22 What I do know, is if I repeat "emerge -u best-efforts" several times, I
23 will end up (in all likelihood) with the same result as "emerge -u world".
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol