From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need help with samba (Possibly OT)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:45:15
1 On 14 Jun 2010, at 21:41, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > ... When I try to connect to the samba share from my
3 > linux install, I get this:
4 >
5 > michael@camille ~ $ smbclient //carter//home
6 > Enter michael's password:
7 > Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.6]
8 > tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
9 > michael@camille ~ $ smbclient //carter//michael
10 > Enter michael's password:
11 > Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.6]
12 > tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
13 >
14 > (The host name is carter, and I didn't understand what the second part
15 > should be.)
16
17 If you're referring to the //first/second syntax, then the first part
18 is the computer name, the second part the share name.
19
20 > Also, I didn't know if "michael's password" meant my password on my
21 > local box, my password on the remote box, or some password I set up
22 > for
23 > Samba forever ago...
24
25 The second / third option.
26
27 Each user on the Samba server has a password, but it isn't the same as
28 their system password. Log on to the Samba server (i.e. `ssh carter`)
29 and run smbpasswd (possibly `sudo smbpasswd -U michael`).
30
31 > Here's my /etc/samba/smb.conf file:
32 > ...
33 > hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
34
35 If it's been some time since this system was used, are you still using
36 the 192.168.1.x subnet? If your ISP sent you a new router, you might
37 now be on 192.168.0.x. IMO change this to:
38 hosts allow = 192.168. 127.
39
40 Also run `smbtree` (works without a password).
41
42 I appreciate that Samba tends not to make any sense when you're
43 inexperienced, but there ought to be lots of troubleshooting guides
44 out there. Google "troubleshooting samba", follow through the steps
45 suggested by 2 or 3 and report back & tell us what you've done.
46
47 Stroller.