From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL startup problem - interface does not have an address yet.
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:50:41
1 On 23/01/2013 18:58, Manuel McLure wrote:
2 > I'm having a problem with booting my Gentoo system due to MySQL
3 > hanging at startup. My system is up-to-date stable (including
4 > udev-197, although I believe the problem started while I was still on
5 > 171) except for the kernel, which is at 3.1.10 because I can't seem to
6 > get lirc to work correctly on newer kernels. The problem started after
7 > a large system update just before the udev 171 to 197 migration. Among
8 > other upgrades dhcpcd was upgraded from 5.2.12 to 5.6.4, net-tools was
9 > upgraded from 1.60_p20110409135728 to 1.60_p20120127084908, and openrc
10 > was upgraded from 0.9.8.4 to 0.11.8.
11
12 <snip additional info>
13
14 > I could add a delay to the mysql script to ensure startup, but I'd
15 > rather figure out why the IP address is not yet available even though
16 > the net.eth1 script has completed. Does anyone have any hints on what
17 > could be going wrong?
18
19 I can't determine what the problem is exactly but I can offer some hints ...
20
21 You should detail your my.cnf file. By default, the mysql runscript
22 depends only on net.lo. There's nothing wrong with that unless you are
23 binding to a specific address. Using "skip-name-resolve" is also
24 helpful, provided that you don't require host names to be resolved for
25 your grant tables to work correctly.
26
27 If the nature of your configuration is such that a specific interface
28 must be up then you can insert the following lines in /etc/conf.d/mysql:
29
30 rc_use="net.eth1"
31 rc_after="net.eth1"
32
33 NOTE: You need not - and should not - edit the mysql runscript directly
34 in order to customize its dependencies.
35
36 This particular caveat is described by the comments in that file, along
37 with several others. I'd suggest taking a look at these comments if you
38 haven't already done so.
39
40 Cheers,
41