From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Safeguarding strategies against SSD data loss
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:12:10
1 On 27/10/2014 11:24, Mick wrote:
2 > I'm starting a new thread so as to not hijack the one about alternative
3 > kernels, but continue with something Volker raised.
4 >
5 > On Sunday 26 Oct 2014 23:25:50 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 >
7 >> as others have written already: ssd.
8 >>
9 >> With a caveat: if an ssd dies, it will die suddenly. Without a warning.
10 >> Usually 5 minutes before the start of your weekly or monthly backup run.
11 >> And that is first hand experience.
12 >
13 > I haven't yet started using SSD and have wondered what sort of a system should
14 > I set up to guard against such instantaneous catastrophic failures. I am
15 > interested to hear what strategies people deploy to avoid data loss with SSDs,
16 > especially on laptops that don't have the luxury of raid redundancy.
17 >
18 > With spinning drives I use tar and rsync at regular intervals. There have
19 > been a few rare cases where a drive failed without prior notice - the last one
20 > after a reboot. In such cases I am prepared to live with the risk of some
21 > data loss, on machines where raid is not an option.
25 Without some form of redundancy that would be your best strategy -
26 decent and frequent backups
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com