From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --emptytree : how to ?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 02:38:24
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 06:25:35AM -0500, Dale wrote
3 >
4 >> Some of my make.conf entries.  You may not need all of these so edit out
5 >> what you don't want or change values if you need to.  I have a four core
6 >> CPU.
7 >>
8 >> FEATURES="-usersync -userpriv -usersandbox buildpkg sandbox parallel-fetch"
9 >>
10 >> MAKEOPTS="-j5"
11 > There is some controversy over setting MAKEOPTS=${number of threads}
12 > possibly being better than MAKEOPTS=${number of threads} + 1
13 > https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2013/01/14/makeopts-jcore-1-is-not-the-best-optimization/
17 I tried different settings before that one and settled on the one that
18 works best.  It may not work on someone else's system but it does fine
19 here.  One thing about most of my settings, they've been tested pretty
20 well and work well on this system at least.
21
22 Since I have a four core system, I usually set everything to number of
23 cores plus one which should lead to a always busy CPU.  So far, it has
24 worked out that way for the most part.  If I had enough memory, I might
25 could up that but it could lead to another problem I had before lowering
26 it to that number.  Compiles that fail.  It's been a while but at one
27 point, some packages had to have -j 1 to compile.  That is rare nowadays
28 I guess but since the settings I have works for me, I'll likely leave
29 them like they are.
30
31 The one thing I did have to change recently, not compiling some large
32 packages on tmpfs.  If it was just one package I have enough memory.
33 However, sometimes it would be two and sometimes even three that were
34 large.  The main culprits were Seamonkey, Firefox and Libreoffice.  I
35 think I added a couple other large ones in just to be sure but other
36 than that, these settings have been around for a good long while.
37
38 I might add, I've read that blog before.  I also read the comments where
39 others had different results and pointed out some issues with the blog
40 points.  The blogger used kdelibs as a test case.  Thing is, I compile
41 more than just kdelibs here.  Most of the time I start my emerges before
42 I go to sleep.  I put Gkrellm where I can see it and I watch what the
43 CPUs are doing.  Generally speaking, the CPU cores stay busy the whole
44 time.  There are a few times that it is not at 100% but generally it
45 is.  If anything, since it does have times where it isn't at 100%, I may
46 need to up that number by one to see if that keeps it more busy.  Thing
47 is, in the past, it didn't help any.
48
49 Thanks for the info.
50