From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:32:20
1 On Monday 30 September 2013 10:01:32 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 30/09/2013 06:14, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > If the udev people had made "net ifnames=0" the default, and allowed
4 > >
5 > > the small percentage of multi-nic machine admins to set "net.ifnames=1",
6 > > this would not have been an issue. Some corner case exotic setups
7 > > require complex solutions... no ifs/ands/ors/buts. All the complaining
8 > > you hear is from the other 99% who's setup worked just fine with the
9 > > simple solution, suddenly finding the complex solution rammed down their
10 > > throats.
11 >
12 > No, that is just plain wrong.
13 >
14 > Having interfaces on a multi-nic host come up as ethX where X is a
15 > mostly random number is just so broken it beggars belief. Trust me, it
16 > is zero fun when it happens and what makes it even worse if you have no
17 > warning at all beforehand.
18
19 I trust you, but on my multi-nic systems, I found a better solution :)
20 As I use Xen to virtualize my systems and as I don't want to have multiple
21 network cables running side-by-side, I started using VLANs.
22
23 I know have all the NICs names eth1,eth2,...ethn.
24 I throw them all as a bonded network device: bond0 (the other ends go into a
25 switch supporting bonding network ports)
26 then on top of that, I have VLANs with distinctive names (lan, dmz, guest,
27 vm,...) and link these as required to different Xen-domains.
28
29 When the network names get renamed suddenly to the "non-predictive" scheme, my
30 system refuses to boot.
31 Before that, I would use mac-addresses to link ethx devices to names that make
32 sense to me. (see above for the names)
35 Joost