From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 09:17:38
1 On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:20:23 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > No one has demonstrated that it can. An initramfs isn't magic, it
4 > > caries out a couple of trivial tasks before switching to the real root
5 > > partition.
6 >
7 > The issue mentioned was an example. It was also:
8 > 1) The only one I can remember from the last 4 or 5 years
9 > 2) Easily avoided with a "rebuild initramfs" notice during upgrade
10
11 3) spurious as the poster then realised that this was a PEBKAC problem.
12 So in 5 years you have seen one problem blamed on the initramfs, and all
13 but one of those reported problems were actually down the the initramfs.
14
15 > I think part of the "problem" with it is that the documentation about it
16 > isn't clear.
17
18 No argument there.
19
20 > There are tools (genkernel / dracut /..? ) that can
21 > automate the generation of it. But it isn't clear what exactly it is
22 > doing. If there would be a clear guide on how to do it manually, or a
23 > tool that would assist in building the file(s) needed to have it build
24 > into the kernel, then it might be more acceptable to some.
25
26 There are two. A rather terse one in the kernel documentation, I posted
27 the location earlier in the thread, and a page on the Wiki that describes
28 the process in more detail, including an example init script. I've just
29 looked for it and it has expanded since I last need to look at it
30
31 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
32
33 Or if you look at the official Gentoo documentation it links to the
34 various resources.
35
36 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/initramfs-guide.xml
40 Neil Bothwick