From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo centric VPN
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2018 12:15:51
1 So, I need to be able setup and tear down a 4-component network.
2 Sometimes all (4) systems will be in the same location, probably about
3 50% of the time.
4
5 My (3) personal systems are:
6 (1) gentoo laptop (Open RC if that matters)
7 (1) window-7 laptop
8 (1) Android Cell (galaxy note 9)
9
10 These (3) are with me most about 70% of the time, but
11 often they will be in different locations hundreds of miles apart.
14 (1) The corporate windows workstation/server. (always stationary).
15 (4) Total, often just the the (3) systems on this transient net.
18 So, my research suggest that WireGuard might be best because most of
19 what I'm moving around is a wide variety of image types, as well as
20 video and 3D/4D files and binaries for odd-ball embedded devices, of a
21 wide variety. Eventually the file movement will be mostly automated
22 (scripted). WireGuard purports to have the most bandwidth capabilities
23 and some of these file_sets will be in the gigabyte range often.
26 I've found lots to read and noodle with, but I'm curious what (gentoo)
27 folks would suggest. For starters it cannot use an outsourced VPN;
28 that's dictated by others. So a "home-spun VPN" is warranted.
31 From others ::
32 "But WireGuard being awesome is old news. The new news is that now
33 there�s an easy way to integrate it into Android ROMs and kernels. "
37 https://opensource.com/article/18/8/open-source-tools-vpn
38
39 https://www.wireguard.com/install/
40
41 https://github.com/max-moser/network-manager-wireguard
42
43 https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/wireguard-rom-integration-t3711635
46 Those are a few links I found, but I really want a gentoo centric
47 method. Others suggests, for custom ROMs, to anything to secure the
48 Android phone and get rid of the "crap apps" would be most welcome. If I
49 cannot get rid of them I'd like a systematic way to bury those pesky
50 Android apps that pedestrian use, down the tree somewhere. I guess what
51 I'm trying to say is once I get the (4) devices working, I'll be testing
52 a variety of way to setup Android or embedded gentoo on that Android
53 Galaxy-9 so I control the stack, it can deeply sniffed, either on the
54 internal device or on external ports, via Deep Packet Inspection codes
55 on the ports via other microprocessors running embedded gentoo.
56
57 Use Gentoo prefix?
58
59 An android experimental stack?
60
61 I have a second cell phone so I can do whatever I need to with the
62 Android Galaxy Note 9. Jtag or other low level hardware programmers are
63 of keen interest; mandatory. Perhaps Samsung or another vendor sells the
64 hardware programming equipment? 5G bandwidth is definitely front and
65 center, when and where it's available, but ignored for now or until
66 those phones are available.
69 Discussion, ideas and suggestions are most welcome.
72 curiously,
73 James