From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] nvidia-kernel p.masked by hardened profile
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:54:09
1 A emerge update after a recent sync turns up the following message:
2
3 !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "nvidia-kernel" have been masked.
4 !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete
5 your request:
6 - media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.7676-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
7 # These two package do more harm than good w/ hardened.
8 # users must now the opensource xorg nv driver with nvidia cards.
9 # By placing Driver "nv" in xorg.conf
10 # 2006-06-29 solar
11
12 Ditto with the new nvidia-drivers package.
13
14 A few questions:
15
16 1. nv still doesn't do 3D acceleration, right?
17 2. Is there more information about what "more harm than good" means?
18 I tried googling but the only thing I found was a commit log on
19 solar's website with a one-liner about p.masking nvidia-kernel. I
20 want to know what kind of problems that nvidia drivers incur so I
21 can decided whether to give up 3D acceleration, the hardened
22 profile, or ignore solar's advice and unmask the packages.
23 3. Is this (the fact that I am running a hardened profile) the reason
24 that if I 'emerge --pretend --update xorg-x11 --verbose', among the
25 list of VIDEO_CARDS options displayed, I do not see nvidia?
26
27 Thanks,
28
29 W
30 --
31 A boy mathematician and a girl mathematician face each other from
32 opposite sides of a room, and at the same time a boy engineer and a
33 girl engineer face each other from opposite sides of the room. At the
34 end of each minute, each boy-girl pair is allowed to halve their
35 distance from each other. The boy and girl mathematicians never meet,
36 but after a few minutes the engineers get close enough "for all
37 practical purposes."
38 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 5:21
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list