From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Uh Oh!! Made the contents of my directory unreadable
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:15:24
1 On Friday 12 February 2010 01:18:33 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 01:58 +0800, ubiquitous1980 wrote:
3 > > With this command or similar, I made my directory and one file in /
4 > > unreadable:
5 > >
6 > > for entry in $(find $HOME); do $entry >> found; done
7 >
8 > er... you just executed everything in your home directory and piped the
9 > output to a file... I think you wanted "do echo $entry"? or the simpler
10 > "find $HOME >> found"?
11 >
12 > anyway, it shouldn't have corrupted your filesystem, but it looks like
13 > it did.
14
15 I thought the same and wondered "How? How could it corrupt stuff?"
16
17 So assuming the for did do the corruption and it isn't coincidence, what would
18 make this happen? Or is the OP just seriously out of luck and hit the one in a
19 gazillion unjackpot?
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com