From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/shm permissions drwxr-xr-x root:root ?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 03:20:59
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > This may be related to me running mdev instead of udev. I've been
3 > using /dev/shm for creating and deleting scratch files, to speed things
4 > up when processing photographs with automated scripts. It used to work.
5 > But now it no longer allows writes by anybody except root. A couple of
6 > days ago, I did a big update, which resulted in devpts having to be
7 > explicitly mounted. Since I run mdev instead of udev, the instruction
8 > to "rc-update add udev-mount sysinit" doesn't work for me. Instead I
9 > put an explicit "mount devpts" in /etc/local.d/000.start, which handles
10 > the automounting. Anybody else seeing /dev/shm as root-only, or is this
11 > an artifact of my weird setup?
15 I'm not real sure on what you are doing but, this is what mine is:
16
17 root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/shm
18 total 4
19 drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 60 Dec 3 18:20 .
20 drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4400 Dec 26 18:56 ..
21 -rwxr-xr-x 1 dale users 32 Dec 3 18:20 sem.lastpassffsemaphore
22 root@fireball / #
23
24 It seems that whatever file is there is owned by the person who created
25 it. I use LastPass for my password manager so, I assume, that is what
26 that is. Odd tho that I am not currently logged into LastPast but can't
27 imagine what else could be named that.
28
29 That help any? Can I get you any other info?
30
31 Dale
32
36 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!