From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 04:48:26
1 On 17/09/14 23:43, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 17.09.2014 um 21:52 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
3 >> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
4 >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Am 17.09.2014 um 21:02 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
6 >>>> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
7 >>>> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>> [snip]
9 >>>>> Now you use this to advertise for systemd?
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> Systemd fanbois are becoming more and more desperate.
12 >>>> So, systemd is used (or it has been announced that is going to be
13 >>>> used) by default in all the major distributions, is available and
14 >>>> working great in Gentoo, and many Gentoo users and developers use it
15 >>>> happily.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> So, yeah, we are *really* desperate, obviously.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> Thanks for the laugh.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Regards.
22 >>> you will stop laughing when redhat&poettering abandon systemd because it
23 >>> is 'fundamentally broken' and must be replaced with something else.
24 >>>
25 >>> Probably as soon as everybody got used to it.
26 >>>
27 >>> And if I guess correctly, pulseaudio will be the driving force behind
28 >>> it. Because history loves repetition.
29 >> Sure Volker, whatever you say. I'm willing to bet the future stability
30 >> of my desktop and server machines that your doomsday-scenario will not
31 >> happen. Actually, I'm already betting on it.
32 >>
33 >> What are you willing to bet?
34 >>
35 >> Again, thanks for the laughs. You are a funny guy.
36 >>
37 >> Regards.
38 > I am not betting anything.
39 >
40 > But I want you to think about something:
41 >
42 > devfs was the best thing since sliced bread.
43 > As soon as everybody used it, it was broken and replaced.
44
45 There was no problem with this development.
48 > hal was the best thing since sliced bread.
49 > As soon as everybody used it, it was broken and abandoned.
50
51 That's untrue. HAL was responsibly replaced with UDisks.
52 As in, when Gentoo got rid of sys-apps/hal, we made sure everything was
53 ported to UDisks or that unported applications that were removed with
54 sys-apps/hal, had a direct replacement available.
55 It was a logical development, that's all.
56 >
57 > *kit?
58 > The same.
63 FUD.