From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel build - back in the soup.
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 03:27:24
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > There's no reason to use menuconfig after running oldconfig, If your
4 > old kernel was using all of the hardware, then the new kernel should,
5 > too, just with oldconfig.
6
7 I don't know about that. I found a whole lot of stuff different when
8 I ran menuconfig and checked the old and new settings.
9
10 I just made a partial list by comparing the oldkernel settings in
11 menuconfig and the new kernel after running make oldconfig. And this
12 is only SOME of them, got tired of it part way thru:
13
14 Some of these really seem like they should have ended up marked the
15 same after oldconfig
16
17 ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
18 Automatically append version string on in old off in new
19 BSD accounting off in old On in new
20 Export Task process thru netlink off in old, on in new
21 Auditing support off in old, on in new
22 Namespc support all off in old all on in new.
23 Network support/wireless off in old, on in new
24 Amatuer radio support off in old, on in new
25 RFswitch subsys support off in old On in new
26 Networking/ multicasting off in old on in new
27 Advanced router off in old On in new
28 BOOTTP off in old on in new
29 RARP off in old on in new
30 TCP advanced congestion control off in old, on in new.
31 ipv6 off in old, on in new
32
33 I gave up after that... so if you think oldconfig means you get the
34 same settings by and large... it doesn't.