From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bash and keeping history
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 06:14:53
1 On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 12:11:45PM -0700, Trenton Adams wrote
2
3 > There's one thing that has kind of been a little annoying since
4 > I started using gentoo a few months ago. That's the fact that
5 > when you open multiple bash logins, only the history of the last
6 > one logged out actually gets saved. Now I know that redhat saves
7 > all of them. Does anyone know how it does this? Is it a patch,
8 > a certain scripts, what?
9 >
10 > Anyhow, I think gentoo really needs this feature. It's a little
11 > annoying to lose all of your history when you've been working in
12 > multiple windows.
13
14 I read your post, and slapped together the following, which goes into
15 ~/.bashrc. Warning... some backtick expansion included here. Is there
16 a simpler way to find out which tty or pts you're running in?
20 # If running interactively, then:
21 if [ "$PS1" ]; then
22
23 # Set up a separate HISTFILE, depending on which tty we logged in
24 # from. Convert slashes in tty names (e.g. "pts/0") into underscores.
25 mytty=`ps -ef | grep ${USER} | tail -n 1 | sed "s/^.\{30\}//
26 s/ .*$//
27 sx/x_x"`
28 export HISTFILE="${HOME}/.history_${mytty}"
31 The command figures out which tty/pts we're launched in, and sets a
32 history file containing the session name. One booby-trap is forward
33 slashes, which aren't legal as filenames (they're interpreted as
34 directories).
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
38 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
39 --